Saturday, April 7, 2012

West Chester Farmer's Market

http://www.westchestersfarmersmarket.com/

In an odd little twist of fate, Ohio, which is rich in fertile, farmland, and Ohioans, who descend from generations of farmers, seem barely linked today. I've found that the common daily diet in Ohio consists mostly of red meat and some corn or potato based side. A plethora of processed foods is also a staple. So you can imagine my glee when a co-worker pointed me to the weekly West Chester Farmer's Market, across from Dinglehouse, my favorite watering hole.

I came a little late today but there were still a few stands open displaying their colorful vegetables, organic meats, poultry, soaps, jams and assorted treats. On principle, I generally don't buy on impulse. Maybe it was the warm afternoon breeze that lulled me fiscal conservatism to slumber but I picked up a small bag of organic dog treats. (Hope you like em' Bhim!) There were plenty of organic vegetables and meats to choose from but before I plunk down my dozen quid, I'll check out this place everyone raves about called "Jungle Jims" and stop by the Whole Foods on the other side of town. I was a bit disappointed at the high prices though.

I have always assumed that the exorbitant produce prices in Ohio at places like Meijer and Kroger are due to the lack of locally grown vegetables (read: fuel to truck over vegetables from the San Joaquin valley) coupled with the generally low demand for fresh produce in the American midwest diet. If that were true, the locally grown produce at this market should be cheaper - some claims to be grown only a mile or two away. Someone needs to explain to me the economics of Ohio produce; the numbers just don't add up.

Compared to the lazy weekend farmer's markets I used to frequent in Los Angeles, this one was downright skeletal, but you have to judge a fish by its pond, and any organic, local, natural food in the mid-west is a step in the right direction. For things like this, demand leads to supply, not the other way around. Count me in the 'demand' column folks! Now, if I can only find someone who will sell me kelp and wheat grass, I'll be raving.

Here's a link to the West Chester Farmer's Market and if you have any tips for an Ohio newbee looking for affordable, fresh produce (or better yet, a restaurant that'll cook it up for me), shoot me a line; I might even want to invest in it.

http://www.westchestersfarmersmarket.com/

Chew thoroughly,
IndianGuy who Cooks

No comments:

Post a Comment